Here is my narrative for the 5 facts. I decided to do the data presentation because I felt I would be able to convey facts better rather than a show opener. In the beginning I had decided on the show opener but was having trouble coming up with a concept, and visualizing a basic idea. I started thinking about some facts, and realized there were more potential concepts there. SO, at the very last minute I decided upon the presentation of the following facts that relate to Jiu-Jitsu.
• The average human loses consciousness after 2 minutes without breathing.
• During certain rotations the average human shoulder can only withstand 14 lbs of pressure.
• With the right leverage it is possible to break the human arm with only 8 lbs of pressure.
• Without flow from the carotid arteries, the average human loses consciousness after 8 seconds.
• 20 -30 seconds without carotid artery flow will cause need for resuscitation.
The presentation changed a little from the final storyboard. Some of the transitions I used in the storyboard didn't make much sense as far as relation to the subject. So they were thrown out. Also I wasn't sure how I was going to treat the text. This would come later.
I represented these facts with medical diagrams, as well as some other visuals that weren't quite as literal. I tried to make it not so literal, but at times felt it was hard to clearly communicate the fact.
Before each fact I showed a stop motion animation that shows 2 Jiu-Jitsu practitioners demonstrating the techniques in which the fact that follows is relevant. I felt this would be a good way to tie the whole thing together.
Here is the "stage" for the live action stuff that takes place while the facts are being displayed. I thought it would be interesting to transition between stop motion and live action during the presentation.
Here is another shot while getting ready to shoot some more.
These guys were there to help, but really just got in the way.
For the type I used Bodoni. The thick and thin parts of the letters resemble something organic and lifelike. I printed the typed facts a bunch of times and then crumpled each piece of paper, giving each piece a different look in an attempt to create a wavy or organic look to them when I animated them.
Overall I am satisfied with the project, although I still feel there is room for improvements. This was a project that I had a lot of fun doing, while not only learning new and mysterious software (AfterEffects) but also learning how to convey facts or ideas with imagery in motion.