Friday, April 30, 2010

Typographic Conference - Conclusion

In the beginning I looked to my experiments from the previous project.

I felt it was an interesting solution. I experimented with a few different typefaces, but ended up using garamond. I felt it was the most interesting because of the thick and thin strokes and the serifs as opposed to the geometric and consistent sans serif.

I played around with inverting the logotype, but after crit I switched it back to the natural colors.

Along with the logotype, all the other artifacts also went through this change.

The user generated name tags also went through some changes. In the beginning the light looked as though I had created them in Microsoft Paint...

But with a few modifications to the camera and using a different light I was able to achieve some pretty cool results.

I also spent quite a bit of my time and energy working on the motion piece.

Luminosity Investigation from Jonathan Richardson on Vimeo.

Luminosity Process 2 from Jonathan Richardson on Vimeo.

Here is a video I compiled of several stages during the process.

Here is the final piece.

Luminosity Motion Piece from Jonathan Richardson on Vimeo.

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Typecon Refinements 04/29/2010

Here are the refinements I have made to my artifacts for the Luminosity typography conference.

Based on Monday's crit, I change the color palate back to the yellow/white/black to reflect the feeling of light rather than water. I also re-made the motion piece and attempted to integrate the logo more with the live video parts at the beginning.

Luminosity Motion Piece from Jonathan Richardson on Vimeo.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Information Architecture - Comps

Idea #1

This idea features the albums jumbling around into groups or order depending on which sort is selected.

The user could also click on the albums themselves to reveal information relating to the album and the selected sort.

Idea #2

This idea has the albums sorted by location on the United States map.

Initially all the albums would be grayed out until the user selects a sort. Once selected, albums that are in that group would become highlighted. The user could then click on the album to reveal a new window with information about the album.


After some very good feedback during a group crit today with Kate, Tom, Jessica, and Carly I am going to work on combining these 2 directions by using the sorts from idea #1 in idea #2 and only using the map in the LOCATION sort

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Information Architecture - Process

My first idea is to have the albums sort in a way that they appear to be moving through a space and coming out towards the user.

In the time line sort option the oldest albums would appear the farther away while the most recent would be the closest to the user.

In each sorting option the user would be able to hover over the album of their choice, the album would then highlight. Once the user clicks on the album a window would appear revealing information about the album including release date, and the era during which it was released.

Idea #2

This idea features a map of the United States which the albums would be place on according to region giving the user different sorting options.

The albums would appear according to the era they were released in...

The albums would appear, giving the user the ability to rollover and click on them...

There would then be a zoom which would focus on the selected album also revealing information about the selected album.


I have done all the album covers using the xerox transfer method. I feel that the one that turned out the best were the ones lighter in color. The darker albums didn't transfer as well and I think I will have to edit them a little bit in Photoshop.