This project was a lot of fun (though at times I thought I was going to have an aneurysm). It was really interesting to experiment with how sound can change or alter the meaning or mood. In the beginning my narrative took on a more serious feeling, but by adding sounds that weren't so literal, I was able to make it more playful and at time comedic thus changing the meaning.
At first I was a little hesitant to relinquish control to the user, I was afraid that certain things in my narrative may be missed. I also kind of had a preconceived idea of where the sounds should play before we started on this and that may have been a reason as well. But once I started laying out the narrative I began to embrace the idea of 100% user control. Now the user can control every element to the narrative. I believe this adds to the user's experience.
In the beginning I had some ideas that had a more traditional look for the layout with a stage and buttons below that would control the actions. These were boring. I then started kicking around this idea of a comic book, or an old Batman episode.
I then began trying to break out of this idea that used a "stage" and buttons for everything and began trying to make it look more like a comic book.
I then began drawing the layouts digitally and to scale so I could get all the dimensions right.
Next came the buttons...
When I started assembling the piece in flash I ran into some difficulties achieving the look I wanted. During the production, the composition changed a little.
In the end I am happy with the result.